Check out frequently asked questions and see if these answer yours.
Click here to contact us if you still have questions.
Do you actually buy the stock in your portfolio?
No. Portfolios with Purpose is a fantasy stock portfolio competition. No actual stock is purchased.
How much money will my charity get?
First place awards 60% of the donation pool to their charity, second place awards 30%, and third place awards 10%. More players in a pool increases the total dollar amount that goes to charity. The donation pool also increases as players make more trades throughout the contest.
How is performance calculated?
Overall performance, or historical total return is calculated by taking the average annual total return of the five securities in a participant's portfolio. Total return of an individual security is defined as the percentage change from the closing price on the final trading day of the contest adjusted for stock splits, rights offerings and spin-offs since the start of the competition.
Are dividends included in returns?
Yes. Ordinary and special dividends are added to the original share price when computing total return.
How often is the performance updated?
Performance is calculated at 6PM (ET). There may be a 1–2 hour delay before the website refreshes.
Are my stock picks made public?
Each player has the option to keep their stock picks private by changing their privacy setting on personal profile pages. There will be snapshots of winning portfolios at the conclusion of the contest.
What are the requirements for picking a charity?
Portfolios with Purpose retains the authority to reject or accept any charity in its sole discretion. Certain organizations are ineligible based on the following guidelines:
• Organizations that do not have a 501(c)(3) exemption, except for public schools.
• Community trusts or similar organizations, including Charitable Remainder Trusts, Donor Advised Funds, Family Foundations, or charitable organizations classified as private foundations or trusts.
• Fraternal and labor organizations, lobbying groups, partisan political organizations, candidates, or to support specific legislation.
• Anti-business organizations or organizations that discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, disability, religion, ethnic or national origin, or sexual orientation.
• Religious programs or organizations, except when the activities being sponsored are non-sectarian
Who are your service providers?
We are so grateful to have Alston & Bird LLP providing legal services, Sard Verbinnen & Co. for Public Relations, Deloitte conducting an audit of the contest, and Art Bell preparing our year-end tax filing.
Where are the funds during the contest?
All entry fees are held in an escrow account at JP Morgan Chase.
Is Portfolios With Purpose a tax exempt organization?
Portfolios With Purpose is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit institution. Contributions to Portfolios With Purpose are tax deductible. Our EIN is 30-0721627